Fri 9 – Sun 11 August
Our extended three-day Sea Glass Summer School combines all of the techniques usually covered in our varied weekend workshops to create a comprehensive introduction to making jewellery from found objects. If you love the thrill of collecting sea glass and you’ve got a collection of beach finds that you’d like to make into precious keepsakes then this is the perfect course for you! You don’t need any previous experience to come along and start making silver jewellery using sea glass. And if you don’t have your own collection of sea glass, worry not, we have a selection for you to choose from!
We’ll start at the very beginning, working our way through basic jewellery techniques such as sawing, drilling, filing and soldering. Your expert tutor will give step-by-step demonstrations and be on hand to guide you through each process. We’ll explore textures and patterns, create a base that fits your chosen piece of glass, and frame it using a simple but effective bezel setting, sometimes known as a rub-over setting. As well as learning how to set your sea glass using a bezel setting, we’ll cover techniques for making rings, drilling sea glass and saw piercing silver to create charms, and adding findings to create pendants and earrings. You’ll leave at the end of the course with your completed collection of personalised sea glass jewellery.
If you’re hooked after your day of making, we have starter tool kits available to buy in-store that will get you all set up with your home jewellery studio.
What to bring
- We’ll provide everything you’ll need for your sea glass rings workshop including tools and silver, however, if you’d like to make a particularly large setting or use a longer chain there may be a small surcharge
- You are also welcome to bring your own sea glass however it should be no smaller than a 5 pence piece and no bigger than a £2 coin
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not order yourself a CSSJ apron to make you feel right at home in your workshop?
- If you have long hair please wear it up
- If you are the type of person who prefers to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest page filled with jewellery-making information and inspiration just for you!
- Tea, coffee, and biscuits are supplied, you can bring your own lunch to eat in the studio or we can advise you of nearby places to eat
Friday 9th, Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th August 2024
Friday & Saturday: 10.30 am – 4.30 pm with a break for lunch
Sunday: 11 am – 4.30 pm with a break for lunch
Level: Suitable for all
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to a lack of attendees. In the unlikely event, you will be fully refunded and notified the day before the class is scheduled**