Enamelling Summer School
Level: Beginners and intermediate
Join award winning Enamel artist Elizabeth Jane Campbell for a special extended Enamel Summer School that covers everything from the basics of prepping your metal to advanced decorative techniques. This comprehensive class is a great starting point for beginners looking to introduce colour, pattern and texture to their jewellery, and is also a great refresher for those looking to work on their enamelling projects under expert guidance. Over the course of three days you will learn an extensive range of both beginner and intermediate decorative techniques such as sifting, Sgraffito, stencilling, stamping and graphite through to champlevé, basse taille and cloisonné. Practical demonstrations will be spread throughout the course, giving you plenty of time to practise, experiment and develop your work in enamel.
Beginners – You will create a set of samples using the different techniques you have learned and Elizabeth will also demonstrate techniques for applying findings to your finished enamel pieces to transform them into a collection of colourful jewellery.
Intermediates – Please bring along designs/ideas to take your enamelling to the next level under guidance.
Your Tutor: Graduating in 2013 from Edinburgh College of Art, tutor Elizabeth Jane Campbell is an award-winning enamel jeweller based in Edinburgh.
Day 1: The Basics – Elizabeth will introduce basic enamelling techniques through live demonstrations and presentations of a rich variety of samples. Students will get a feel for the studio and begin their own experimentation. Students with previous experience can enjoy refreshing their skills.
Day 2: Advanced Techniques & Design – Advanced techniques and approach to design will be taught through live demonstrations & group discussions. Students will advance their experimentation by introducing more intermediate techniques.
Day 3: Consolidate & Create – Students will have the chance to create a small collection of finished pieces using the techniques that they have learned with Elizabeth and of course, she will be on hand to offer advice and expertise. A variety of findings will be demonstrated so that students can complete their pieces professionally.
What to bring:
- We’ll provide all the things you will need for the Enamelling Summer School including tools, copper blanks and silver findings. However, if you want to make a particularly large piece or additional pieces, extra copper and silver can be purchased directly from the school at cost price.
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not treat yourself to a CSSJ branded apron to make you feel right at home?
- If you have long hair please wear it up
- Students will not be permitted to eat lunch in the studio due to health and safety issues relating to enamel powders, but we can recommend somewhere on the High Street to grab some tasty treats
- If you are the type of person who prefers to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest board filled with enamel information and inspiration just for you!
Thurs 11th, Fri 12th & Sat 13th July 2024
10 am – 4pm with lunch breaks.
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to events outside of our control or lack of attendees. If this occurs you will be notified before the class is due to commence and offered a choice between a replacement class or a full refund of your fees**