Beyond Beginners Summer School
Our week-long, intermediate-level, Beyond Beginners Summer School is a fantastic opportunity for those who have the basics but would like to expand their skill repertoire and confidence. We will focus on specialised processes, techniques, and skills over five consecutive days, Monday – Friday. Join us in our light, spacious studio overlooking the River Allan in Dunblane, for an opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of jewellery-making under expert tuition. We will devote each day to teaching you a new technique enabling you to add texture, colour, or depth to your designs. Some topics such as stone setting can be adjusted for your skill level. For example, if you are already competent with bezel setting, we can teach you how to tube set.
- Experimental casting and how to attach findings to your castings
- Heat coloured titanium & cold connection techniques
- Stone setting techniques
- Keum boo (adding gold to your silver designs)
This course aims to instill confidence as you advance your studio practice with new techniques. Your tutor will give a wide range of practical demonstrations which will be spread throughout the course, giving lots of time to practice and experiment with new techniques. This course is geared towards skill building that will influence your longer jewellery journey and is not about creating finished pieces of jewellery. You will leave with a comprehensive set of new skills, notes, and samples to help you put these into practice and create finished pieces in your home studio.
Potential participants should only book this Summer School if they already have workshop experience. You will need to be proficient in all the basic jewellery techniques (sawing, filing, forming, soldering) You should be confident use of both handheld and large sievert torches as we will not cover these during the course. Please get in touch with us if you are unsure if this class is for you.
What to bring
- We’ll provide everything you’ll need for your Beyond Beginners Summer School including tools and enough silver to get you started. Extra silver can be bought from the studio at cost price.
- A small sketchbook, pen, and pencil would be useful for taking notes and sketching ideas, we have a selection for sale in the shop upstairs
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not order yourself a CSSJ apron to make you feel right at home in your workshop?
- If you have long hair please wear it tied up
- If you are the type of person who likes to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest page filled with jewellery-making information and inspiration just for you!
- Tea, coffee, and biscuits are supplied, bring your own lunch to eat in the studio or we can advise you of nearby places to eat
Mon 22 – Fri 26 July
10:00 am – 4.00 pm with a break for lunch.
Please note that occasionally our classes run slightly over the finishing time depending on the complexity of student designs. Please allow for an extra 30 minutes of buffer time at the end of the day.
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to a lack of attendees. In the unlikely event, you will be fully refunded and notified the day before the class is scheduled*