Beginners Summer School
Level: Absolute Beginners
Our week-long beginners summer school is a fantastic introduction to the world of silver jewellery making. This intensive short course is a great introduction to a range of traditional techniques and tools used to make silver jewellery. We’ll begin working in copper as we practise essential techniques such as sawing, drilling, texturing, forming and soldering. Demonstrations by our expert tutors will be followed up with plenty of opportunities to practise the techniques at your own pace. We have a vast selection of tools ranging from small hand tools to heavy duty equipment that you will learn to use creatively and safely throughout your week here.
Once we have mastered some new skills in copper we can move on to think about designing a piece of jewellery to make in silver. You can browse our library of books and magazines for inspiration, and our tutors are on hand to help you come up with creative but achievable ideas. Over the week you may even be able to create a small collection of jewellery!
The summer school is held over five consecutive days in our light, spacious studio overlooking the River Allan. By the end of the week you will leave not only with some finished jewellery, but also the skills and confidence you need to carry on your jewellery journey should you wish to do so. Our summer schools build a great foundation for anyone wanting to set up a home studio or move on to take more skill building workshops with us, but are also a great stand alone experience for those looking to come along and be creative just for the week.
What to bring
- We’ll provide everything you’ll need for your beginners jewellery summer school including tools and enough silver to get you started. Extra silver can be bought from the studio at cost price.
- A small sketchbook, pen and pencil would be useful for taking notes and sketching ideas, we have a selection for sale in the shop upstairs
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not order yourself a CSSJ apron to make you feel right at home in your workshop?
- If you have long hair please wear it tied up
- If you are the type of person who likes to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest page filled with jewellery making information and inspiration just for you!
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied, bring your own lunch to eat in the studio or we can advise you of nearby places to eat
Mon 15 – Fri 19 July
10:00am – 4.00pm with a break for lunch.
Please note that occasionally our classes run slightly over the finishing time depending on the complexity of student designs. Please allow for an extra 30 minutes buffer time at the end of the day.
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to lack of attendees. In the unlikely event, you will be fully refunded and notified the day before the class is scheduled*