Keum Boo Masterclass
Level: Intermediate. Previous workshop experience including sawing, drilling and soldering is required.
Our half day Keum-Boo Masterclass will introduce jewellery makers to this ancient Korean gilding technique which, literally translated, means ‘attached gold’. This simple gilding process enables you to permanently attach an ultra-fine layer of pure gold to the surface of solid silver. Keum Boo offers a simple, reliable and affordable way to incorporate the warmth of gold into your designs without the added expense of making in gold. We’ll begin the day with a practical demonstration before you get to work experimenting with texture and pattern and creating your own designs in silver and gold. We’ll look at how processes such as reticulation and oxidation can add further depth to your keum boo pieces. You will work in silver, and create a set of samples which when finished to a high standard can be incorporated into your silver jewellery designs, or made into simple pieces of jewellery with the addition of findings.
This class will build on an existing foundation of jewellery making skills such as sawing, soldering and drilling. These techniques will not be covered in the masterclass, please take one of our beginners workshops or weekly classes first to bring you up to speed with the basics.
What to bring:
What to bring:
- We’ll provide all the things you will need to make your Keum Boo piece including tools, silver and gold. If you want to make a larger piece such as a ‘statement’ pendant this can sometimes be accommodated however there will be a charge for extra silver. A sketch/notebook plus a pen/pencil for notes and designs could come in handy for this workshop, be sure to check out the range of CSSJ branded stationery upstairs in the gallery!
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not treat yourself to a CSSJ branded apron to make you feel right at home?
- If you have long hair please wear it up
- If you are the type of person who prefers to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest board filled with Stacking Ring information and inspiration just for you.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied, bring your own lunch to eat in the studio or we can advise you of nearby places to eat
Sunday 28 April
2pm – 5pm
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to lack of attendees. In the unlikely event, you will be fully refunded and notified the day before the class is scheduled**