Carved Wax Rings for Silver Casting with Shirley Lowe Sunday 24 March
Join us for an imaginative sculptural jewellery workshop and explore the endless possibilities of carved wax rings for silver casting. In this one day beginners level course you’ll learn how to carve your own ring design in blue jewellers wax that we will send away to be cast in silver by our friends at Jewellery Casting Scotland. Wax carving is a versatile technique that lends itself to a wide range of both organic shapes and geometric forms that are hard to achieve with traditional sheet metal and wire. In this relaxed class, students will learn the basics of subtractive carving methods, and additive wax working using heat to build up texture and form. We’ll explain the lost wax casting process to give you an insight into production methods used in commercial jewellery, and to demonstrate what will happen to your ring when it is sent away to be cast. By the end of the day you will create a carved and polished wax ‘master’ to be sent away to our Scottish casting company. The silver rings are sent back to the studio and will be hand-finished before being posted out to you.
If you love your wax carving class and want to try more check out our range of toll kits available upstairs in the Craft Central gallery and shop.
Level: Suitable for all. This workshop is suitable for absolute beginners as well as makers with experience who are keen to add another technique to their skill set.
What to bring:
- We’ll provide everything you need for your wax carving workshop including tools and enough wax to make your ring
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not treat yourself to a CSSJ branded apron to make you feel right at home?
- If you have long hair please wear it up
- If you are the type of person who prefers to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest page filled with jewellery making information and wax carving inspiration just for you!
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied, bring your own lunch to eat in the studio or we can advise you of nearby places to eat
Sunday 24th March 2024
11 am – 4.30 pm
**Please note: classes may be cancelled due to a lack of attendees. In the unlikely event, you will be fully refunded and notified the day before the class is scheduled**